The Kantorei Summer Choral Institute will be entering its 7th season in 2019!
KSCI is presented by Kantorei Kansas City, a 501(c)3 whose mission is to educate audiences, enrich lives, build community, and bring vitality to past and present through music of the highest quality.
This one week summer camp is aimed at young singers from age 11 through high school and beyond. Last summer we had about 150 attendees from across the KC Metro participate in one of four choirs. Rehearsals and performances happen at beautiful church venues in downtown KC.
You can experience some of what makes this weeklong experience great for the kids here at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKHJfvFrJqY
WAYS TO GIVE TO KSCI
• By clicking the “Donate” button at the top of the page. Kantorei KC is a 501(c)3 organization. Donations are tax deductible.
• Sponsor an ensemble or t-shirts and highlight your business! We have sponsorships available for t-shirts and specific ensembles. For more information, go to our Contact Us.
• Advertising opportunities available for the KSCI concert programs (and for other Kantorei concerts). This is a great way for you to contribute and support KSCI. You’ll get exposure for your company reaching a captive audience of arts supporters on two nights of concerts! Ad rates start as low as $55. For more information, go to our Contact Us.
• Have an extra $10, $20, or $50 to support another student join in this incredible week of music and learning? Click on our donate button on the at the top of page and make this a possibility for another burgeoning singer and musician.
KSCI students pay tuition to participate, but that tuition does not come close to covering the total cost of putting on the camp.
"How can a choir camp cost so much?” you may ask. “How expensive can it be to have kids stand and sing songs?”
Here’s a quick breakdown to give you an idea of some of the costs that are involved…
• Facility rentals for rehearsals and performance: $3,000
• Cost to bring in clinicians for the week: $6,000
• Sheet music for all participants: $1,500
• Lunch on dress rehearsal day for all participants: $1,000
• Non-clinician staff for the week of KSCI: $7,500
The costs are pretty high, and Kantorei relies on the kindness of grants, sponsorships, and donations to make up what is not covered by tuition.
Kantorei KC tries to keep the tuition as low as possible. In some cases, we have been able to offer partial scholarships to some students for whom the tuition is a burden. We also know there are students who do not attend at all because of the cost. Our hope is that the donations we bring in can help us keep the tuition as low as possible, and more importantly, provide even more tuition assistance for a greater number of students. A $150 scholarship donation can send one kid to camp. Or help support several kids, by lowering the cost of tuition for them.
To sum all that up, we’re trying to raise money to help KC kids experience a one of a kind choir camp that lets them learn from some of the best educators in the country, and work and sing alongside professional educators and performers.
WHAT MAKES KSCI UNIQUE?
KSCI is one of a kind in the area, and perhaps nationally, for a couple of reasons:
• Students work with nationally acclaimed clinicians. These are top notch instructors from colleges, universities, and other organizations brought in from all over the country to work with our kids. In some cases, they have turned down other more lucrative summer opportunities to come to Kansas City because KSCI is so strong. Some past clinicians include Ryan Board, Jennaya Robison, Daniel Gutierrez, Raynard Brown, Giselle Wyers.
• Students rehearse and sing alongside professional singers. Kantorei KC is a professional vocal ensemble made up of music educators who are professional singers in the KC area. They have three professional albums, which have achieved high acclaim locally and internationally.
• During the KSCI camp, these professionals work right alongside the kids, rehearsing with them and eventually singing with them in the concerts at the end of the week. This gives the students incredibly valuable exposure to performing as a “real” professional singer. And the music they create is fantastic.
For a clip of last year’s performance, go to https://youtu.be/oJTMkS3IzDg
Listen to a clip from the 2018 KSCI concert…members of the Choristers and Concert Chorale are joined by professional singers from Kantorei. If you want to hear a snippet of how great the music is after just one week of practice, go to https://youtu.be/oJTMkS3IzDg.
And another way to give while enjoying an evening out . . .
Join us for a small intimate gathering of curious and philanthropic spirit sippers for a happy hour fundraiser for a great cause. The Kantorei Summer Choral Institute has taken on the mission of delivering high quality music education to students of all backgrounds from around the region at a fraction of the cost of other music camps. In order to continue this tradition, we are benefitting the scholarship fund for the program to ensure access to any student with a passion for music and growth.
Artistic Director Chris Munce, an amateur whisky connoisseur, has curated a list of interesting bottles from around the world for you to taste. Including Jefferson, Nikka, 12 Foot Beard, Rieger and MANY more. If you find one you like, you can then bid in silent auction style to take the bottle home! Each $85 ticket will also be entered into a raffle to win a special rare bottle to take home, as well as the tasting event. Hors d'oeuvres included.
Scholarship Fund Benefit • June 9 • 4pm-6pm • The W, Lee's Summit, Missouri • $85
Tickets are available at https://whiskeykc.brownpapertickets.com